Friday, October 16, 2009

Elk Down Part III

My Dad connected on his elk yesterday - the last day of the hunt! He and my bro Dave were out together, spotted the herd bedding down around 9 am, and then spent several hours working Dad into position. He actually shot from the top of the ridge Dave's elk was on last Saturday. Dad sat on top of the ridge glassing down into the aspens for over an hour before getting a clear shot at around 2:30 pm. It was about 400 yards across a draw. The herd of cows took off and came up to within 10 yards of Dave who had been working his way up the ridge the elk were on. They were finally done field dressing around 7pm, and had a 4 hour hike out in the dark - kind of getting lost in the dark but working through crazy timber back to the road. Me, bro Daniel, and Dad hiked back in on an easy horse trail we discovered today to get the last bag of meat. Dave and Dad hiked out with about 80-90 lb. packs last night - crazy! Three tags filled this year!Dad pointing at the ridge he shot from. We're standing next to the elk.


The Real Jim Heywood said...

One shot and he went down immediatly. Love those long shots. .300 eatherby Magnum with Leopold scope (thanks, boys!), telescoping bi-pod, genuine Weatherby ammo, and closing my eyes is a pretty good combination. Lots of tender and flavorful elk meat for the next six to nine months. Good times. I'll post more on my blog when I recover. Thanks to Dave, Joe, Eric, and Daniel for the help and support.

Bryan & Bobbie said...

That is totally awesome that all three of you got to fill your tags. I love how you can take those long shots with your powerful rifle. It seems we Heywood's have kind of a knack for taking long shots when it comes to hunting. You guys always take long ones out there in that country. There is something exhilarating about taking long shots. Anyway, great story. You guys will have to send some jerky out this way.

Mother of Eight said...

And congratulations to Joe...or should I say Doctor Joe. He completed his Doctorate on the same day Dad got his elk. Funny how that was more exciting to these hunters than the completion of this educational milestone!