Sunday, April 25, 2010

21 Miles

So, I did my last long run building up to the Ogden Marathon May 15. I get to taper down for the next 3 weeks. I had the bright idea to trail run the Bar M Loop twice, and then run down the old highway to the Colorado River. The loop is rolling, rocky, hilly trail, and it beat me up pretty good going through it twice. So, when I finally dropped down the old highway at Mile 16.5, I was butt tired. Nice 60 degree weather, though. The e-Gels seem to be working pretty good, and getting my electrolytes from those instead of sugary Gatorade seems to be working out well. I don't run a lot of miles each week (some marathoners run 50-100 miles a week in training), but I added up recent months of running, and I've run over 300 miles in training. Cool. Legs feel strong. Abs good. And I've fallen in love with ice buckets.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ice is miraculous. Sitting in a tub of ice cold water after an hour and a half of sprinting up and down the ultimate field... priceless. Hate it, but love it.

And, Happy Birthday!

The Real Jim Heywood said...

Ice buckets huh? Thought you looked a little pail.

Anonymous said...

Ice is a dream. I always ignored it in the past and just suffered through the soreness for days or weeks. Or I would ice once and be done. But Kobe taught me otherwise, and I obeyed. Love it! My legs feel 20 years younger!

Bryan & Bobbie said...

I have always seen the ice bathtubs in locker rooms, and have always wondered if they worked. I never did any research into it though. Perhaps I will give it a try, considering I have so many sore parts during long consecutive runs. Also, no doctor has been able to figure out my back pain in the past 3-4 years, maybe this will be the ticket.

joeheywood said...

I'm not sure how you would ice your back, but send pictures when you try. My back pain is constant, but it has died out the past few months considerably after I read extensively. I finally concluded that back pain, like knee pain, is related to other parts of the body. If you want to get rid of knee pain, then you do squats, lunges, and situps. This creates stabilizers in your legs and core that protect the knee joint. Whammo! My knee pain from Nov - Feb is gone. The same for my back. The more I strengthen my core, the less back pain I have. It's still there, but it doesn't stop me from doing anything.