Saturday, July 24, 2010

Colorado River Canoeing

I took my newly purchased canoe out on the Colorado River for the first time. I went with a friend, Chris, from here in town, and we put in down at the bridge about a mile from my house. We floated 4 hours downriver to Gold Bar. A thunderstorm kept threatening us, but cleared out after awhile. It was a cool trip. I scouted the river, so now I can take Brandi and the kiddos. I'll post pics of that adventure when it happens.
We were in some shallows on the narrow side of an island and Chris saw a bunch of carp boiling in the shallow water. He jumped out and caught one. Gollum the River Hippy.



We rock climbed these walls with the kids a couple of months ago.





6 comments:

Dave Heywood said...

Nice. That looks like it was alot of fun. And really pretty too. Are there any rapid areas or was is all smooth like that? Tate is still not the sit still type yet and would be afraid of him rocking us too much. We should totally plan to go sometime together, it would be so fun...

joeheywood said...

Flat water. I'm taking our kids soon. I think Tate would be fine. There are sandbars all throughout to get out and explore and lots of islands. Very cool and kid friendly.

Bryan & Bobbie said...

Me too, me too!! I can't wait to come back out there. We want to plan things different next time. Maybe spend some more time down in Moab before heading up North.

joeheywood said...

Right on.

The Real Jim Heywood said...

I want to play! ooo ooo pick me

Chris Andrew said...

Yum, carp!